Last Updated October 14, 2020
IMPORTANT NOTE: The English version of this document governs our relationship. Any translated version is provided for convenience only and does not modify the English version.
Argosy Publishing, Inc. d/b/a Visible Body ("Company" or "we" or "us") makes web-based, desktop, and mobile applications. Company is committed to respecting the privacy of information and data of the users of our applications and other individuals ("you") about whom we collect information that may be used to identify you (your "personal information"). This Privacy Notice describes our policies and practices with respect to the collection and use of your personal information.
How We Collect and Use Your Personal Information
The information we collect from you depends on how you interact with Company, our website, and our applications, as described in more detail below. In addition to the specific uses described below, we may use your personal information for our legitimate interests in complying with our legal obligations, for law enforcement purposes, to protect and defend our rights and property, or to enforce our User Agreement or agreements with third parties.
Website Forms and Mailing List Subscriptions
When you submit web-based forms on Company's website, we may collect the following information, depending on the form that you submit:
- Contact information (e.g., email address, phone)
- Location (e.g., state, country)
- Institutional affiliation and role (e.g., student, medical professional)
- Language preference
- Information about the products and technology that you use (e.g., device, platform, operating system)
- Your responses to open-ended questions (e.g., the type of product or service you are interested in, technical problems you've encountered, suggestions)
We may also collect this information if we connect with you in another manner. For example, if you agree to sign up for our mailing list when you visit our vendor booth at a conference.
We use this personal information for the following purposes:
- To deliver services, products, or information that you have requested
- To send you promotional materials or communications regarding our products and services that we feel may be of interest to you
- To provide customer service or assist you with technical problems
- To evaluate and/or improve the products and services that we offer and develop new products or services
We send promotional emails on the basis of consent. When we provide you with services or information that you have requested, we do so because it is necessary to perform on our contract or for pre-contractual measures. Other processing activities are based on our legitimate interests, such as seeking feedback from our customers and improving our products.
Automatically Collected Tracking Information
When you visit our website and when we send you marketing emails, we collect certain information automatically using cookies and other technologies, such as web beacons. We collect the following information in this manner:
- IP address
- Source of visit (e.g., how you found our website)
- How many times certain pages are accessed and what web pages and application functions visitors use
- What browser you use
- Email tracking information (such as whether you opened an email from us)
We use this information for the following purposes:
- To help improve the functionality and usefulness of our website and emails
- For statistical analysis of website users' behavior
- For product development and/or content improvement
- To customize content and layout of our website
If you purchase our products through one of our resellers, 2Checkout or Fastspring, we receive certain information about your purchase from the reseller, including contact information (e.g., name, email address) and order information (e.g., billing address, sales source, payment method). We use this information for our legitimate interests in providing customer support to our customers and to track product purchases.
Visible Body Application Users
If you are using our mobile applications because you are affiliated with a company or institution that has purchased our products or a license or subscription to access our applications on your behalf, you may use an activation code to get access to our applications. We may ask for your email address in order to send you the code. You'll need to provide this in order to get access to our applications. Your email address may also be associated with information about your activation, such as the date and time that you used your activation code. We use this information to maintain product activation, check activation status, and monitor aggregate usage of our applications. We process this personal information based on our legitimate interests.
Some of our web applications allow you to save user content, such as saved views and user-created notecards ("User-Created Content"). If you use these features, you will need to provide your email address to create an account. We store and use your User-Created Content only to provide that service to you.
You can choose to register the application you have purchased or that has been purchased or licensed on your behalf. If you register your application, we ask for your email address. We use this information, along with information about the product you registered, to send you promotional emails, but only with your consent.
Course Packs Users
If you use one of our Course Pack products, we collect the following personal information:
- Email address
- Institutional affiliation
- User ID for your institution's Learning Management System ("LMS") (which is provided to us by the institution that you are affiliated with)
- Activation information (e.g., date and time of activation)
We use this information to maintain product activation, check activation status, and monitor aggregate usage of the Course Packs product. We use your LMS User ID to send quiz scores to your LMS, but we do not store your scores. We use your email address to send you an activation code. We process this personal information based on our legitimate interests in providing and monitoring the Course Pack service.
Visible Body Accounts for Courseware, Web Suite, and Some Mobile Application Users
If you use our Courseware or Web Suite product, you will be required to create a Visible Body account. In addition, some of our mobile applications may require you to create a Visible Body account in order to share content and access your User-Created Content across devices. When you create a Visible Body account, we collect the following personal information:
- Contact information (e.g., name, email address)
- Login information, including encrypted password
- Activation and usage information (e.g., date and time of activation, date and time of last login, IP address)
- (Courseware only) Institutional affiliation, LMS user id (if available)
- (Courseware and mobile apps only) Role (e.g., student or instructor)
- (Courseware and mobile apps only) User-created content (e.g., quizzes, due dates, assignments, saved views, notecards)
- (Mobile apps only) App information and settings (e.g., product name, product version, device OS, app language preference, in-app purchases)
We use this information to provide the product (Courseware and Web Suite) and User-created content (Courseware and mobile apps) to you, as well as for our legitimate interests in maintaining product activation, checking activation status, and monitoring aggregate usage of our product.
Account holders can choose to sign up for promotional emails. If you sign up for promotional emails, we use your email address, along with information stored in your account, to send you promotional emails, but only with your consent.
We may also use account holder email addresses to contact former or current account holders to request their optional participation in customer surveys.
How We Share Your Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information for the purposes described above to the following third parties:
- Our vendors and service providers, such as those that assist with the provision of services, marketing, analytics, data storage, or content management, or that provide consulting or professional services to Company
- Law enforcement, government agencies, or other authorities in order to comply with laws, regulations, court order or other legal obligations, or to protect and defend our legal interests
- The institution you are affiliated with, if you use our products through your affiliation with an institution, such as a college or university, in order to track activation of applications and to provide learning management services, such as Courseware (for example, your name, your email address, and your quiz scores will be provided to your instructor)
- Our authorized resellers and distributors, if you have requested information on a Visible Body product sold by one of our resellers or distributors
You agree that we may collect and use technical data and related information, including but not limited to technical information about your device, system and application software, and peripherals, that is gathered periodically. We may use this information, as long as it is in a form that does not personally identify you, to improve our products or to provide services or technologies to you.
Transfer of Information to the United States
Company is headquartered in the United States. Information we collect from you will be processed in the United States. The United States has not sought nor received a finding of "adequacy" from the European Union. With respect to transfer from the European Union, Company relies on derogations for specific situations. In particular, Company transfers personal information to the United States only with your consent, to perform on a contract with you (or in your interest), or to fulfill compelling legitimate interests of Company in a manner that does not outweigh your rights and freedoms. Company endeavors to apply suitable safeguards to protect the privacy and security of your personal information and to use it in a manner that is consistent with this Privacy Notice. Company does not collect sensitive data (known as special categories of data in the European Union).
Unless otherwise noted in this Privacy Notice, Company retains personal information for as long as necessary to provide services to you, and thereafter for as long as necessary to comply with our legal or contractual obligations. We periodically delete information regarding prospective customers if we determine the information is no longer needed for that purpose. Personal information will be removed from live databases upon written request or after an established period following termination of an agreement. Information stored in backups is not actively purged but instead naturally ages itself. Visible Body does not retain backups of personal information for more than 90 days.
Collection of Personal Information from Children
Our Website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on this Website or on or through any of its features, including your name, address, telephone number, or email address. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us immediately.
This website contains links to other sites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage visitors to be aware when they leave our site, and to read the privacy policies of each and every website that collects personal information. Except as otherwise provided herein, this privacy statement applies solely to information collected by this website.
While we have instituted security measures to protect the information and systems that we maintain, we cannot guarantee that all transmissions to and from our websites are secure. Emails that you send to us may be subject to interception. If your communication includes personal information that you do not wish to provide electronically, please contact us by postal mail or telephone.
If you do not want to receive promotional or marketing communications from Company, you may opt-out at any time by clicking the "unsubscribe" link at the end of our emails. If you choose to unsubscribe, we will retain your contact information to ensure that we do not contact you again.
If you are located in the European Union, you may have the following legal rights under European Union law:
- To withdraw consent at any time, if we are processing your personal information on the basis of consent
- To access the personal information Company has about you
- To request that Company rectify or erase your personal information
- To request that Company restrict the way it uses your personal information
- To object to the way Company uses your personal information
- To ask Company to transfer your personal information to someone else
- To lodge a complaint with a data protection agency in the European Union
To request to exercise one of these rights, please contact us using the contact information provided below. Company's ability or obligation to comply with your requests may be limited by applicable law.
Changes to Privacy Notice
If you have questions about how we handle your personal data, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at:
109 Oak Street, Suite 203
Newton Upper Falls, MA 02464
For personal information subject to European data protection laws, Argosy Publishing, Inc. is the controller of the personal information.