This article is for instructors and Canvas administrators who need to understand all the features of Canvas and Courseware Deep integration, or want to better manage transferring assignments and grades from Courseware into Canvas.
Canvas and Courseware Deep integration allows instructors to:
- Access Courseware assignments and quizzes from within a Canvas course
- Track student Courseware assignment activity in Canvas gradebook
- Report students’ Courseware quiz grades to Canvas gradebook
Deep Integration Setup
- Canvas administrators need to set up an integration one time per Canvas account. [Any sub-accounts will also take advantage of this new integration.]
- Instructors or Canvas administrators will only have to authorize the deep functionality once per user account, so any subsequent course created will be authorized to share assignments and grades if they choose. Read this article for the one-time administrator steps required to establish Canvas and Courseware Deep integration.
Manage Assignments and Folders
- Sync one or more assignments and folders with Canvas [using the Canvas API], and have those folders appear in the same order set up in Courseware.
- In Courseware, a Canvas icon will appear next to any assignments and groups that have been synced or removed from syncing (but still in Courseware), to show the current status of any assignment.
- On the Canvas Assignments page, ungrouped assignments will appear above all other folders on first sync, in a folder titled “Visible Body Ungrouped Assignments” (pictured below):
- Change the order of assignments or folders in Canvas as best meets your learning design needs, and still have the settings and other details sync with Courseware.
- Empty folders and unsynced folders will not appear in Canvas. Canvas will alert and prevent you from bulk editing and syncing empty folders.
- Publish or unpublish an assignment in Courseware, and have this status reflected in Canvas.
- Delete assignments in Courseware, and those assignments will be automatically deleted in Canvas.
- Publish assignments from the Bulk Editing area in Courseware and have the option to publish to Canvas at the same time.
- Remove assignments from Canvas using Bulk Edit in Courseware, and you will be notified if that assignment has grades or not.
- Bulk edit and sync a large number of assignments without facing a time out from Courseware. They will see a confirmation of success, even if the process takes a few minutes.
- Edit graded assignments using grading rules and settings in Courseware, such as partial credit, and have those changes reflect automatically in the grades in Canvas.
- Any non-graded Courseware assignment will have “do not count towards final grade” checked off in Canvas.
- Manually sync grades at any time.
- See the timestamp of the most recent sync in the Courseware Gradebook.
- [Manage grades for incomplete assignments and partial credit assignments in Courseware, and have any grade changes sync.]
- Any preexisting quiz scores in the Courseware Gradebook grades after Deep Integration is set up will be reflected in Canvas.
- Stay informed web a failed sync occurs, e.g. if a student has signed into Courseware with a new or different account than their last sign-in.
- Use "Actions" menu in the Courseware Gradebook menu to export your institution's LMS-compatible CSV file, or manually sync grades (pictured below):
Manage the integration
- Instructors can manage their integration from a new LMS Integration page that appears on the left hand navigation within Courseware.
- Instructors or administrators can easily toggle between Lite and Deep integrations once set up and see their integration status, and any synced grades will be retained.
Know the Student Experience
- After signing into Canvas and selecting a Courseware Assignment, students will be brought to the appropriate courseware assignment page
- Non-graded assignments are now marked as complete in the Canvas Gradebook once a student visits the assignment page.
- Student grades sync automatically after a quiz is taken or override has been set by instructor