This article is for instructors who want to get the most out of the course roster tools available in Courseware. In the Manage Class Roster page, instructors can:
- Add, drop, re-add, or transfer students.
- Set timed quiz accommodations for individual students.
Note: If your institution's LMS has Lite or Deep integration with Courseware, dropping or transferring students in one platform will not also occur automatically in the other. If further action is required, a pop-up message will appear with instructions.
Managing students in the roster
To add students to your course roster, follow the steps in this article. From the Manage Class Roster page, you can toggle between the "Active Students" and "Inactive Students" tabs at the top right corner.
Active Students tab features
- View the name and email of all currently enrolled students in the "Active Students" tab. You can view dropped or transferred students in the "Inactive Students" tab.
- Add timed quiz accommodations for individual students.
- Drop active students from the course, and move their information into the "Inactive Students" tab.
- Transfer students to other courses in which the professor is enrolled by selecting the student's new course in the dropdown menu. You’ll still see a record of the students you transferred in the "Inactive Students" tab.
Note: A student's grades do not carry over when they are transferred to a new course. However, to preserve the previous course’s grades, you can export all grades to a CSV before transferring a student from one course to another by using the “Export as CSV” feature. Select the “Actions” button on the top right of your Gradebook page to access this feature. You can also return the student back to the original course, and then export the original grades to a CSV.
Inactive Students tab features
Note: the "Inactive Students" tab will only appear if there is an inactive student in the course.
- Once dropped from a course, a student's information will be moved to the "Inactive Students" tab. The date the student was dropped will appear in the "Status" column.
- Once transferred from a course, a student's information will be moved to the "Inactive Students" tab. The date the student was transferred will appear in the "Status" column.
- Select "Re-add Student" from the "Add Student" column to return a previously dropped student to your class roster (pictured below).
Timed quiz accommodations
For each course, you can add timed quiz accommodations to the roster for individual students that will apply to all of that student's timed quiz assignments. Note: When a course is copied, the roster's timed quiz accommodations do not carry over to the new course, and must be reset for the student.
Instructors can use the "Timed Quiz Accommodations" column's dropdown field (defaults to "None") to select the appropriate multipliers for timed quizzes (pictured below). Preset choices include time and a half, double time, untimed, or other. If you select "other" in the dropdown menu, you will need to enter a custom time multiplier in the "Other:" field to the right. After selecting or entering the appropriate multiplier, select the "Save" button. Note: preset and custom time values are multiplicative, NOT additive.
You can find more information on creating and managing time quizzes here.
You can share this article with students who have questions about timed quizzing/accommodations.